Sunday, March 25, 2012

Breaking Glass (1980)


I'd been wanting to see this one for a long time now. For so long it's only been available on VHS, but recently it has also become available on Netflix. Honestly, on paper, this movie is really in my wheelhouse, I have a real soft spot for Punk/New Wave-themed films. The story is very similar to something like "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains," which is to say that it's about an idealistic female Punk vocalist who preaches rebellion, but eventually conforms to fit her own goals. Granted "Breaking Glass" is a little ambiguous about what exactly drives Breaking Glass' front-woman, Kate (played by musician Hazel O'Connor).

It's British, gritty, and doesn't have the "happy ending" tacked on the way "The Stains" does, which is nice. The lead performance by O'Connor is really remarkable and very believable. Her character's arc is well done, the film's soundtrack is good, and it's always nice to see a young Jonathan Pryce. I'm glad I finally got to see it, and I would like to watch it again in a theater someday, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed by it only because I didn't connect with it the same way I have with films like "The Stains and "Times Square."

--Popkoff

No comments: