Sunday, January 15, 2012

"The Pregnancy Pact" (2010)



"So this is what it feels like to be Jamie Lynn Spears" - Some pregnant girl.

I've never really watched a Lifetime Movie before, although I've always suspected that there was a vast well of absurd, ironically funny, exploitative trash waiting to be explored. There are titles that I've always seen or heard about, like "Cyber Seduction" and "Invisible Child," but I haven't tried to track 'em down. So what did I think of "The Pregnancy Pact?"

There are a lot obvious plot-twists, over-the-top performance, and overly simplified commentary on hot-button issues. The representation of the main character, Sara, and the other girls is kind of hilarious. They're presented at sweetly naive plotters, intelligent girls who are just, you know, crazy (and definitely NOT stupid because that would be wrong). When one of the girls finally has her baby, the whole act of birth is presented as a horrifying trauma (complete with tearing "down there, stupid)." The aftermath of her birth is also presented as emotionally terrifying; as one of the other girls relays, "her grandmother has to force her to hold her baby."



Poor Thora Birch is in the movie as a Video Blogger/Reporter (a profession I'm sure won't date the movie at all). I've had a crush on her for a long time, she'll always be Enid to me. The third act is the best with the girls in-fighting and admitting to their own stupidity, Thora's big confession, and Sara being told off/left by her boyfriend and then she gets drunk and ends up in a hospital with alcohol poisoning (I've got to admit, it's kind of funny watching a pregnant teen run for help).

My favorite line occurs in the emotional breakdown between Sara and her parents when she argues against her parent's over-protectiveness by saying "at least my baby won't care if I have sex or not."

--Popkoff

No comments: