Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Explosive Generation (1961)



This film was first brought to my attention when the AV Club's "Films That Time Forgot" featured it. The premise is about a small town that freaks-the-fuck-out when the high-school students begin discussing their true feelings regarding sex, in the classroom, against their parent's wishes. The main selling point for me was that the student's teacher is played by a young William Shatner.

There are a few interesting scenes in the third act, an early performance by Beau Bridges, and one or two chuckle-worthy moments in the film. Unfortunately though, I felt that the movie was a little too tame to be taken seriously and not quite goofy enough to have a good laugh at. In the end, I guess I just wanted more Shatner.

--Popkoff

No comments: