Saturday, February 4, 2012

High Tension (2003)



Well, I waited nearly 10 years to watch this and boy was it not worth it. I remember watching the trailer, which nicely used Sonic Youth's cover of "Superstar, and thinking that this could be something different. Of course, I heard a lot about the twist ending over the years and how some felt it ruined the movie and others furiously defended it, but I tried not think about what the twist could be (even though it seemed so obvious).

At the end of the day, I think the twist ruined the movie, but not because "it didn't make sense," although it didn't. I thought it ruined the movie because it made the audience unable to sympathize with main character because the twist required that she never ever actually try to defend the others in harms way. So as a result I spent most of the movie wanting her to do something that the "twist ending" couldn't allow.



--Popkoff